Removable orthodontic appliances
If you are undergoing treatment with a removable orthodontic appliance, here are some tips to help you experience the best results.
- Wear your appliance day and night exactly as instructed by your Specialist Orthodontist.
- Brush your teeth and appliance with your toothbrush and toothpaste after each meal. You may only clean the appliance with your toothbrush and toothpaste or with a product available called Retainer Brite. Never place your appliance in boiling water or use bleach to clean it, as it can become warped or damaged.
- With any new appliance there may be an initial taste of plastic and slight difficulty in speech. Both the taste and the speech impairment should disappear within a few days. You may also experience extra saliva production at the onset of treatment, but this will regulate itself as you continue to wear your appliance.
- You may experience some soreness for the first few days of using your new appliance. This should improve quickly. If you are still experiencing discomfort after a week of fitting, please contact our practice. In the initial stages, paracetamol or ibuprofen should be sufficient to control your discomfort.
- When you are not wearing your appliance, make sure it is kept in the provided plastic container. Be especially careful around animals as they are attracted to the smell of food the appliance may emit. They might chew on your appliance and damage it.
- Do not use your tongue to flip or play with the appliance as this will loosen it. Sticky foods such as gum, caramels or toffees should also be avoided as they too will loosen the fit (if the appliance is designed to be worn while eating).
- Please contact the practice immediately if the appliance becomes loose, bent or broken. In some cases an additional appliance may need to be fabricated and further charges may be incurred.
- Follow any Special Wear Instructions that your orthodontist has given you.