Functional appliances can be used as interceptive treatment options for young patients to reduce or eliminate further treatment. Some benefits of interceptive treatment are:
- Reducing the risk of tooth crowding
- Creating facial symmetry through influencing jaw growth
- Space preservation for un-erupted teeth
- Elimination of 'crossbites', 'overbites' and 'underbites'
- Management of thumb sucking habits
A Twinblock is a set of upper and lower removable plates that work together in conjunction with the patient's natural growth potential to correct jaw issues (malocclusions) such as 'underbites' and 'overbites'. Below is a link to a short demonstration on how a Twinblock works.
Upper removable appliance (URA)
An upper removable appliance or 'URA' can be used to correct minor orthodontic issues such as crossbites, narrow arches and slight individual tooth movements. Small screws can be inserted inside the plates in different places to perform these movements. Patients are asked to wind the screws themselves to activate the tooth movement.