Elastics are tiny rubber bands that are stretched between your upper and lower braces to move teeth in precise directions. Elastics are attached to your braces by adding little hooks to your wire or brackets to hold them in place. The more elastics are worn the quicker the progress.
- Elastics must be worn at all times except for cleaning the teeth, i.e. they must be worn all night while sleeping, as well as during the day. Try eating with the elastics on, as the more they are worn the more progress will be seen.
- New elastics should be put on every morning and night, after brushing your teeth.
- If one of the elastics breaks during the day, remove the other side and replace with two new elastics to keep the forces the same.
- Spare elastics must be kept with you at all times so that broken elastics can be replaced immediately and the correct forces to align and co-ordinate teeth can be maintained.
- Wear elastics to your appointments so that we can check that you are wearing them in the correct manner.
- If you think that you will run out of elastics before your next appointment or are having problems, please call in or contact our surgery.